WHAT IS SPORTS COGNITION?
Sports cognition refers to the thinking, knowing, remembering, judging and decision-making of athletes at speeds relevant to game conditions. Decisions are made in millisecond timeframes giving an athlete with the requisite physical skills, sufficient time to process and react, and in many cases, adjust on the fly, when presented with rapidly changing information.
WHAT IS A SPORTSSENSE EVALUATION?
Each player receives a SportsSense report that contains 1) the overall SportsSense Index score, 2) three sub-scores that pool areas of common functionality and 3) individual task scores. Thus, coaches have maximum flexibility in tailoring the use of SportsSense data to meeting their individual player’s needs. The reports also contain brief narratives that describe each cognitive skill and how it translates to performance in the game. Because sports and positions require unique combinations of cognitive skill sets, the narratives are adapted to not only each sport, but also specific positions within team sports. Consulting services are provided post-evaluation to meet with coaches and staff to review results, analyze player profiles, and discuss strategies for using the evaluation to develop and adapt drill work to enhance each player's skill set.
HOW DOES SPORTSSENSE HELP TEAMS, COACHES AND PLAYERS SUCCEED?
- We provide a new metric for evaluating, recruiting and drafting players.
- We identify the fastest and most accurate decision-makers on the field or on the court.
- Coaches can put their players in the best possible situations to achieve success.
- We can determine the ability of athletes to process and learn in-game information.
- Coaches can design customized practice/drills targeting specific demands for the athlete's position.
- We can develop a database to compare a team's cognitive skills from year to year and from position to position.
- We can determine why some athletes with sub-elite physical skills can compete at the elite level.
- We can monitor changes in on-field cognitive skills as a consequence of time or impairment.
WHO IS USING SPORTSSENSE COGNITION ASSESSMENTS?
- Professional sports teams
- Collegiate football, baseball and golf programs
- Youth baseball programs
IN WHAT SPORTS HAS SPORTSSENSE BEEN SUCCESSFULLY INTEGRATED?
High school, collegiate, and professional sports:
WHAT SPORTS ARE NEXT IN THE SPORTSSENSE PIPELINE?
- Ice Hockey
HOW LONG DOES THE EVALUATION TAKE?
The SportsSense evaluation for professional and collegiate athletes takes approximately 45 minutes per player. Youth versions take approximately 30 minutes to complete.